Vintage Sewing Book

My plans to do a bit of sewing may have fallen by the wayside, but I have been reading about sewing. My mother had a clear-out of her sewing books and I liberated this one:



I can't find any indication of the age apart from the illustrations, which I think indicate 1950's (one google result did suggest 1940). The book is in 3 parts dealing with patternmaking, sewing processes and techniques, and garment making. I've been leafing through this enough to know I want to sit down and read it fully. There seem to be copies available secondhand, but with the power of Google I did find it's also available as an e-book.

Adding to the interest was this pattern tucked inside the cover.


It's a supplement pattern from the May 2, 1962 Australian Women's Weekly magazine. I can usually take or leave vintage patterns, but it's quite interesting to try to imagine the woman who once pulled this pattern out to make. I wonder if she ever did? Or did she decide that adding 1/2 an inch at the side seams was too basic and use her book to draft a better-fitting dress? [ Insert your own flashback dream sequence here ;) ]

Back in the modern world, the decluttering continues slowly. Among the kids dress-up clothes being donated to my niece and nephew, I found the "Winnie the Pooh" outfit (complete with padded tummy) that I made for DS's role in the school musical 6 years ago.



Sigh. How quickly they grow up.


Comments

Judy Ross said…
You know, if you'd also liberated all her properly vintage patterns and sold them on trademe you could fund a bit of overseas pattern buying......

(ps, has the mail been YET?)