Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Prioritising

As I've alluded to before, I'm studying full-time. On top of family life this means a lot of my time lately seems to be timetabled. Not rigidly hour by hour; more in a structured must-do list type of way. Along the way, as I feel stretched every which way, things get shoved to the bottom of the list. I've realised lately that two of my joys in life (and sanity savers), my special group of friends and sewing, have been getting ignored. Shame on me!

So, having had this insight, what's a girl to do when her husband generously shares his tummy bug and it leaves her unable to focus on academic readings over the weekend? Well, I was selfish enough to keep my bugs to myself, lol, but I did risk a bit of sewing. Rated 'Easy' of course - no point in pushing my luck.

The sacrificial garment in question is a shirtdress for DD1 in checked 'poly rayon stretch suiting' from Spotlight (and which melts impressively to the iron if you let it get too hot....). Both the pattern, Burda 7819 , and fabric were bought on the Friday night while I was killing time waiting for DS's basketball to finish. That's a pretty impressive turnaround time for me. I seriously expected this to just make it's way to the great stash pile (well, cupboard) and be forgotten about. Judging by her reaction, so did DD. Now I've just got to put in the sleeves, add the belt loops and hem the thing. Then the buttonholes. Hmmmm. Have I mentioned before that I managed 8 (yes, eight) years without doing a buttonhole? I'm sooooo looking forward to doing 8 or more. This will get gradually finished in 15 minute blocks.

I also played hooky this afternoon and went to meet my friends for a couple of hours. Fun. :)

Photos soon...

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Black and White Hoodies

Well, my holidays are over and I don't seem to have got any of the sewing done that I'd planned. It seems my mojo packed and went on holiday too. So, in an effort to kickstart a sewing spree, I started to tackle my DD2's woeful lack of clothing.

First up was to use a piece of Mickey Mouse themed sweatshirting I had acquired from my mother. This was apparently purchased in the mid to late 80s, so it was certainly time it was sewn into something useful. Everytime I looked at this fabric all that came to mind was those really baggy 80s jackets. I started with hoodie pattern #36 from Ottobre 04/2007, added extra length to the body and sleeves and used the ungathered pockets, sleeves and hood from #34. I made a size 146 so there is plenty of growing room.


Next up was the 'Emo' sweatshirt as it has been titled in our house. I had a small remnant which was not big enough to allow the hoodie DD2 wanted. A bit of digging in the stash and we came up with some white sweatshirting for the sleeves. I used KS 2893, a tee-shirt pattern, in a size 12. I topstitched in pink embroidery thread but it doesn't show up that well.